Sony DSC-HX99 Digital Camera Details
- 18.2MP BSI Exmor R CMOS Sensor
- BIONZ X Image Processor
- ZEISS Vario-Sonnar 30x Optical Zoom Lens
- 24-720mm (35mm Equivalent)
- 638.4k-Dot Pop-Up OLED Tru-Finder EVF
- 3.0" 921k-Dot Tilting Touchscreen LCD
- UHD 4K30p Video with Full Pixel Readout
- ISO 80-12800 and up to 10-fps Shooting
- Optical SteadyShot Image Stabilization
- Built-In Wi-Fi with NFC and Bluetooth
- Utilizing an 18.2MP 1/2.3" Exmor R CMOS sensor and BIONZ X image processor, the HX99 is able to produce high-resolution stills and UHD 4K video with notable clarity and smooth tonality. The sensor employs a back-illuminated design, which allows it to achieve reduced noise levels along with a native sensitivity range to ISO 3200 that can be extended to ISO 12800 for working in low-light conditions. The sensor and processor also provide a continuous shooting rate of 10 fps for up to 10 consecutive frames in a burst.
Additionally, the HX99 is the first HX-series camera capable of recording UHD 4K video, at either 30p or 24p frame rates, as well as Full HD video. The 4K video uses full sensor pixel readout to record approximately 1.6x times the required information, and this oversampling process helps to deliver greater clarity along with reduced moiré and other artifacts.
- ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T* 30x Zoom Lens
- Covering wide-angle to super telephoto perspectives, the built-in 30x ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T* lens spans a 24-720mm equivalent focal length range. Five aspherical elements are incorporated in the optical design, which reduces spherical aberrations throughout the zoom range, and a T* anti-reflective coating helps to control lens flare and ghosting for increased contrast and colour neutrality.
Complementing the optical design, Optical SteadyShot image stabilization is also used to minimize the appearance of camera shake. An Intelligent Active Mode is also available to reduce blur common to shooting video while moving. Also aiding in achieving sharp imagery, Fast Intelligent AF employs an optimized spatial object detection algorithm to quicken focusing speeds, and Eye AF can be used to automatically detect and focus on the eyes of the main subject.
- Body Design and Wireless Connectivity
- Helping to maintain a sleek form factor, the 638.4k-dot OLED Tru-Finder electronic viewfinder employs a unique pop-up design to retain a pocketable overall size when not in use.
- Rear 3.0" 921k-dot LCD monitor employs a 180° tilting design to facilitate working from low angles or taking front-facing selfies, and this screen is also a touchscreen for intuitive menu navigation as well as the ability to work with Touch Focus, Touch Pad AF, and Touch Shutter functions.
- A control ring surrounds the lens for directly and intuitively adjusting shooting settings, such as shutter speed and aperture, among others.
- Built-in pop-up flash provides additional illumination when working in low-light conditions.
- The large right-hand grip offers increased comfort and support for longer shooting sessions.
- Built-in Wi-Fi with NFC lets you wirelessly share imagery to a smartphone or tablet for instant sharing online. This connectivity also lets you remotely control the camera from a mobile device. Additionally, Bluetooth connectivity also lets you embed your mobile device's location data to your images for geotagging.
- Included NP-BX1 rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides approximately 370 shots per charge when working with the rear monitor, or 300 shots per charge when shooting with the electronic viewfinder.
Sony NPBX1 DSC Lithium-Ion Battery Details
Energy efficient, high capacity design. Slim and light.
Sony DSC-HX99 Digital Camera Specifications
Still Images: JPEG, RAW
Movies: AVCHD 2.0, XAVC S
Audio: AC3, Dolby Digital 2ch, Linear PCM (Stereo)
||4896 x 3672
||1:1, 3:2, 4:3, 16:9
||sRGB, Adobe RGB
||Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar, 11 elements in 10 groups
EFL: 4.25-118mm (35 mm equivalent: 24-720mm)
Aperture: f/3.5 (W) - 6.4 (T)
Clear Image Zoom: 2x
||Wide: 2.0" (5 cm) to Infinity
Telephoto: 8.2' (2.5 m) to Infinity
||Auto, 80-3200 (Extended Mode: 80-12800)
||4 - 1/2000 Second in Auto Mode
1 - 1/2000 Second in Program Mode
8 - 1/2000 Second in Aperture Priority Mode
30 - 1/2000 Second in Shutter Priority Mode
30 - 1/2000 Second in Manual Mode
||Center-Weighted, Multi, Spot
||Modes: Aperture Priority, Auto, Intelligent Auto, Manual, Program, Shutter Priority
Compensation: -3 EV to +3 EV (in 1/3 EV Steps)
|White Balance Modes
||Auto, Cloudy, Color Temperature Filter, Custom, Daylight, Flash, Fluorescent (Cool White), Fluorescent (Day White), Fluorescent (Daylight), Incandescent, Shade
||Up to 10 fps at 18.2 MP for up to 10 Frames in JPEG Format
||2, 5, 10 Sec
|Maximum Effective Flash Range
||Wide: 0.98 - 17.72' (0.3 - 5.4 m)
Telephoto: 8.20 - 9.84' (2.5 - 3 m)
|Memory Card Type
Memory Stick Micro
Memory Stick Micro (M2)
||3840 x 2160p: 30 fps, 25 fps, 24 fps
1920 x 1080p: 60 fps, 50 fps, 30 fps, 25 fps, 24 fps
1920 x 1080i: 60 fps, 50 fps
|Video Clip Length
||Up to 29 Min
||Built-In Mic: With Video (Stereo)
||-4 to +3 m
||3.0" LCD Rear Touch Screen Tilt (921,600 pixels)
||HDMI D (Micro), USB 2.0 Micro-B
||Yes, Wi-Fi 4 (802.11n) built-in
32 to 104°F (0 to 40°C)
||1 x NP-BX1 Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery Pack, 3.6 VDC, 1240 mAh
|Dimensions (W x H x D)
||4.0 x 2.3 x 1.4" / 102.0 x 58.1 x 35.5 mm
||8.54 oz / 242 g
In the Box
Sony HX99 Compact Camera
Rechargeable Battery (NP-BX1)
Micro USB Cable
12-month Australian warranty from Sony Australia
Sony NPBX1 DSC Lithium-Ion Battery Specifications
Dimensions (W x H x D) 29.9 x 9.2 x 42.7 mm
Weight Approx. 25g
Capacity Approx. DC3.6V, 1240mAh, 4.5Wh